Friday, January 11, 2008

Why I Scrapbook . . .

I was at a crop this past weekend, and while I was fighting a splitting headache (That would eventually force me home), I was talking to some to the girls I was sharing a table with and somehow the topic of embellishing came up. One of the girls was saying how she had so many pictures to put in albums that she didn’t have time to be embellish beyond the basics, that is when it hit me I don’t scrapbook to preserve I scrapbook to be create. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my table mates approach to Scrapbooking, it just made me reflect on what I am doing, If preserving key facts and my photos is the reason I scrapbook, then why don’t I just find a photo safe album with the lines on the side to jot down notes. I don’t because I love making something special out of my photos, I love using ribbon, buttons, staples, paper, glue, brads to create something fun and beautiful, that’s why. Photo preservation may have been the premise under which I have been scrapbooking, but the truth is I do it because it appeals to the creative child in me. Of course I want to leave something behind about who our family was, but think about it when we look at old photos of our loved ones we don’t stop to think wow this would look better matted in pink with buttons and ribbon, we stop and look at the faces and the people we reflect on who they were and how we are connected to them, and if we are lucky we know the names of those people and the dates of the photos. It also occurred to me that I don’t need to put every picture in an ornate decorative album, however I do feel the need to put every picture that evokes emotion in a truly special album! So this has been my little rant on WHY I SCRAP! Have a great day!

1 comment:

Kristi B. said...

here, here! I love creating my pages & the memories that fill my heart as I do :o) I love EVERYTHING about scrapping! The friends, events, expos, supplies, magazines.....scrapbooking ROCKS!
p.s. I left a little message for you on my Blog ;o)